Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cribs, Cradles, and Carping

Well, as a quick aside, NaNo was wonderful, but getting so sick on days 8 and 25 sucked all the creativity out of my brain.  But I learned so much even after just 12,000 words and have so many ideas - one cradled until next NaNo and one I am going to start on right away.  The cradled one will be a YA story that has been flitting around my brain for years.  The best thing about NaNo was getting the writing juices all flowing after not wanting to do anything for years.  College in your 40's has a way of sucking all the fun out of life and ruining all desire to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) ever again.

And speaking of cradled:  I just came from a baby shower for our dear Liz.  While searching for gifts, I did research on cribs.  Having never given birth and only been around a few babies here and there, crib comparing is...a nightmare.  Everything that has ever been built has been recalled.  Six times.  There are all these rules, "No sides that move down," "Mattress must fit exactly," "Slaghts must only be so far apart," and that is only the beginning.  So here is my thought:  Why a crib?  After putting in all that baby rubber room bumper padding you can't see inside the darn thing anyway. 


Can you see inside?  Neither can I.

Why not just build a big, wooden box?  I am totally serious.  You could have lovely carvings all over the outside, glue the padding to the walls and et voila! no moving sides, no dangerous slaghts, just a nice safe box that baby cannot get hurt in.  I am not thinking coffin like - no lid or anything - just a big SQUARE box. 

Is this so bad?  Jesus got a manger which really was a big box.  Manger recalls have yet to happen.  Perhaps this needs to be another Orthodox tradition to keep.

Hopefully the above makes a bit of sense since I am heavily medicated.  I really dislike this prednisone they have me on - starting to wean down but it makes me dizzy.  But at least I can breathe - like Rick said, breathing is a good start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment